Manchester Airport Terminal 1 Security Lanes Extension
Terminal 1, Manchester Airport
Strzala Architects were appointed via the framework to provide Lead Designer (design coordination) and full Architectural duties. The project was a very complex, multi-phased and required very close working relationships with the stakeholders and the main contractor(s).
The project included the following elements:
- Restructuring of check-in desk facilities.
- Creation of a new dedicated airline operator security zone (Outward Bound Control) within an existing redundant basement car park.
- Construction of a new airside secure route between new OBC and airside facilities.
- Coordination with specialists for installation of security scanning facilities and ancillary acommodation.
- Installation of two new access staircases / lift modifications.
- Design and construction of new dedicated link from main terminal to new security zone.
- Following analysis it became evident that new dedicated escape facilities were required to meet the legislative obligations regarding blast control.
- Architectural design and re-theming of whole area to provide cohesive imagery following the major changes noted above.